Friday, December 21, 2012

Hump Week in Pedasi !

Week 3 in Pedasi, Panama is winding down fast!  Amazing how when you really settle in to every day life, the days just seem to flow together just like in "real" life. LOL  I think this means that we have gotten into a decent routine between Spanish lessons 3 days a week and yoga the other 2 days. Nice, really nice!

Last Sunday we just kind of lazed around, slept late, read, did Spanish homework, I painted my nails & toes a beautiful shade of green, Mike watched football, and all in all just enjoyed being bums for the day. A OK!!

I also took some new photos of "our" place and thought I'd share them with you.












Monday brought  us back to Buena Vida - Good Life - Spanish/English school owned and operated by our new friend Ingrid.  Our actual teacher is Andriena and she's absolutely delightful and patient!!  I walked away from class with a roaring headache! Seems my brain is trying to tell me that I haven't exercised it too hard over the last decade although I thought I had.  Let me tell you, learning a new language from scratch is very humbling!! 

Mike is doing great but he's being pushed too. He says that when he can understand a full conversation between locals, he'll feel like he's gotten pretty good. 

Monday afternoon we went along for a ride to Las Tablas again with Christine & Wayne.  They needed to meet with their attorney regarding their Pensionado Visa application.  It turned out that their still missing one document so they had to leave on Tuesday morning to head for a border run to Costa Rica.  This has to be done every 90 days so that you can continue to drive and be in Panama legally.  At this point, they're still "tourists" even though they own property and live here.

On our way home, we offered to buy a "round of drinks".  After going to a couple of towns looking for their cantinas, which all closed, we stumbled upon a BIG party in Marabe, a small town just before Pedasi.  Lo and behold, they had been having a party all weekend and Monday was the last day! They had the road closed off for the "rodeo", which was having the local "jovens" try and ride the bulls.  Just a fun time had by all!




 

 

Tuesday was yoga again for me in the morning, which I so enjoy!!  There were only 2 of us but we had a grand time, as always.

The afternoon was spent doing homework, which is taking up more and more of our time.  Must mean we're advancing somewhat.

Since Tuesday evenings means live music at Smiley's, we decided to walk up for dinner and hang out. Mike was again able to play the congos and there was another impromptu guitar player there. Met some more expats traveling around the country and visited with others that we've gotten to know while here.


Wednesday morning was Spanish lessons but then we got a call from our previous Boquete hosts, Jim & Lesia.  They had picked up their 2 daughters from the airport in Panama City and had driven down to just outside of Pedasi to spend a few days at the beach here.  After lessons, we hopped a cab and went out to where they're staying at the Posado de Distillarados. A resort with beautiful wood cabinas overlooking the ocean with beautiful grounds and a nice cool dipping pool.

We all hung out at the pool and caught up on things in Boquete. They reiterated that it really hasn't rained much since we left.  After a lazy time in the pool, they drove us back to our place and we invited them in for drinks and snacks. Since Christine & Wayne were still gone, we were able to comfortably lounge on their back porch. And, then we all went out for dinner at Pasta y Vino's. Love that place!!





After a scrumptious dinner, they went back to their place and Mike & I took a stroll through town and saw my favorite Christmas tree.  It's made up totally of the plastic grocery store bags stuffed into chicken wire and all lit up at night. Church was in service and we finally got to see the beautiful interior. I'm looking forward to seeing it Christmas Eve!  Another night cap at the Pedasito then home for the night.



Today brought me to yoga again and there were only 3 of us but it was a special class because we got to do pairing. So enjoyed sharing my space with Lucielle.  She and I make a good "pair" for poses and balancing.



The day is kind of cloudy which makes it easier to stay around the house, play with the dogs and cats that we're watching for Christine & Wayne, work on the blog, do homework, etc. etc.  A bit later is supposed to be a children's parade so we'll walk up to see it.  I'm planning on making a meatloaf, mashed potato, cheese and bacon casserole.

I've been enjoying all of the beautiful pictures of snow from back home in WA but I'm sure the 3 days without power at our old place is starting to get a bit old.  I'm sure their glad we had put in a 12,000V propane generator!! LOL  So, we get to live vicariously through them for our "snow moments" this year.

I also want to introduce you to "our kids" that we've been watching the last few days for Christine & Wayne.  I have to admit that I don't know the kitties' names (bad me!!) but this is Fisher and Melvin.





Have been having some issues with loading pictures into the blog so it's now Friday after our Spanish lessons. Sun is shining and it's warm but there's a nice ocean breeze.  More yoga again late this afternoon and then meeting up with friends at Arenal Beach for drinks and a visit to celebrate the Solstice & End of the World! LOL

Hope everyone is ready for Christmas because it'll be here very soon! 

3 comments:

Rick Dwinnell said...

We spent a month at the Pedasi Sports Club last year and are looking at returning for 3 or 4 months December 2013.

How do you like the accommodations you are/were in? Any suggestions would also be helpful. Thank you, interesting reading.

Rick & Penny Dwinnell
Canada

Tricia Lyman said...

Hi Rick,

We are now in our 3rd month in Costa Rica and in our 6th rental. I have to say that our place in Pedasi has been the BEST!! I would recommend that you seriously consider it. It's extremely spacious, well equipped for day to day living, and the bed is truly scrumptious to sleep in!! Close to town for walkability within 2 minutes. It's actually not far from the Sports Club. If you would like to ask specific questions, please email me at Tricia@TriciaLyman.com and I'd be happy to answer your questions or give you their contact information. HIGHLY Recommend!!

Rick Dwinnell said...

Tricia,

Thank you ever so much! I will be sending an email very shortly.

Rick & Penny